Thursday, June 9, 2011

Spared

I'm 30 years old, and I've never been to the funeral of someone my own age. That will change on Saturday. For three years, I worked with a young woman named S. We had lunch together nearly once a week. To know anything about S was to know how devoted she was to her boyfriend, K. Six months ago, she became K's wife. Last weekend, she became his widow.

I met K a handful of times. Happy Hour, Bowling, Trivia Night, Wine in the Woods. I knew him largely through S's eyes. And though I've known of his passing for several days now, I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that her partner, her other half, is gone forever. The baby she wanted to have with him, who she'll now never hold, never hear cry. I hope that K will rest in peace and that S will be able to find her own peace.

2 comments:

  1. I read this post last night, and I can't stop thinking about S. What an awful thing to go through as a young wife. I also hope she finds peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is heartbreaking. Many many prayers she finds peace.

    ReplyDelete