Thursday, January 26, 2012

Justify

Something I just don't get about our society is how people wear their busyness like a badge of honor. The lowest blow in the working mom/stay at home mom debate is to imply that someone isn't busy enough. If you're not run ragged, you're not cutting it. No matter the effect all that busyness has on stress levels, sleep, eating habits, you name it. Busyness is next to godliness.

I don't try to compete with that. I am someone who is vastly affected by not getting enough sleep, not eating when I'm hungry, and not having time to myself. Maybe everyone is like me and most people just hide it better, I don't know.

My point is, I started a new job this week. It's interesting work in my field, with a mission I can support. It seemed like a doable commitment to sign on for while Petal is still little - 20-30 hours a week working from home.

I enjoyed the full day training sessions in the DC office this week. But after commuting back to the suburbs, I was zonked. There's no way I'd want to do that every day.

My mind started getting way ahead of itself, as usual. I jumped ahead five years to the time when Petal begins elementary school. And I thought, what if this is just what I did? I would be working doing something I enjoy, and I would have plenty of time during the workday to exercise, clean, and maybe even cook!

I don't know if I'm brave (good for me for following my own path!) or lazy (I can't hack it in the real world!) for plotting to get out of the rat race all together. Maybe a little bit of both.

3 comments:

  1. I will never understand those who shout from rooftops about how awesome they are because they're busy. I doubt will ever work a traditional 9-5 again, now that we've started a family. I have no desire to do the whole drop off/pick up from daycare routine plus a commute.

    So like you, I created my own path. I stay home with my little guy and instruct part-time at a local college, and occasionally do some contract work from home. I am not ashamed that I have free time during the day to devote to my interests (writing and home improvement) and I really wouldn't want it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. good for you! I feel SO lucky to be home with my little man right now. I know if we were in the states, I would feel the pressure (financial and otherwise) to be working. Since jobs are hard for spouses to get here, I don't have to justify it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for embracing what works for you. I do think it's sad that busyness is worn like a badge of honor - I often feel run down with my schedule and am plotting working part-time in the future, when it's doable for our family!

    ReplyDelete