Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't you just hate abandoned blogs?

I did not manage to capture any of my New England or European summer adventures over the past few months. Apologies.

I have a tendency to over indulge in nostalgia, a habit I have consciously been avoiding over the past few years. I also like to project far into the future, a habit which has not gotten any better. September will always be a time of freshly sharpened pencils, crisp new sheets of notebook paper. A good time to move forward. Petal is enrolled in new classes - they refer to the "semester" in her music class, too cute. The "curriculum" is tools, high & low, and fast & slow.

I work for an education non-profit specifically focused on teacher quality. At this stage of my life, I openly and guiltlessly rank work well below child rearing in terms of priority, energy and time.

But thinking so much about the education system and specifically teaching gets the wheels in my mind turning. Once Petal has developed an independent life, I want something to devote my energy to that is meaningful, interesting and challenging.

Is teaching that thing? Helping to prepare the next generation is certainly meaningful work. I'm familiar enough with the education system to know that, especially for newbies, it's definitely challenging. And my love of history ensures that the material I would present would always be interesting to me. Even the pre-reqs in social studies that I would need prior to enrolling in an M.Ed. in Social Studies 7-12 program fill me with giddy glee. I would love to study geography again!

I am notorious for changing my mind (I spent all summer telling anyone who would listen about how I've decided I want to work in education policy when Petal is older) so this new life plan could just be a blip on the radar. But right now I'm excited about it and, since we all know how important it is to live in the moment, right now I will just enjoy the excitement filling my present moment, regardless of what I actually choose to do with my future.

2 comments:

  1. I have three expired teaching licenses in three states for 7-12 Social Studies. There are days I dream about stepping foot into a classroom again, but the processes of getting certified in Virginia seems like a ridiculous hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love school, by any means (lots of anxiety), but I do indulge in the nostalgia of it all as well. I was just recalling to my husband the other day how we would put our new "school clothes" on in Sept - sweaters and cold weather things, when it was still 80 in the afternoons!

    Ah, I miss the crisp New England mornings that give way to afternoon heat, followed by crisp evenings...

    ReplyDelete