Friday, August 19, 2011

Oceans in between us

As I write this, Shakira and Mr. Shakira are en route to the airport to catch their flight back to Madrid. Petal is down for a nap and I am here by my lonesome. Shakira has lived in Spain off and on since 2007, taking the official steps to make her residency there permanent this year. Anyone who knows me knows how important she is to me, and having her on the other side of the Atlantic is very very hard for me. It's not just that she lives approximately a million miles away. It's that her daily life takes place in a different culture. Her job is different, her friends are different, her holidays are different, her life is just plain different than anything I can relate to. I'm not as brave as she is and the lack of familiarity can really overwhelm me.

I know many families have it a lot worse, and most of the time I try to have a little more grace when describing the situation. But today my baby sister left and I'll be lucky if I see her at Christmas. So today I'm going to pout and wish things were different.

No comments:

Post a Comment