Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ringing in the 4th

Jack, Petal and I had a wonderful four (five?) day weekend filled with family and friends who love us. So why does it still sting to find out from Facebook that other far-flung friends were in the area and didn't make the effort to get in touch? I keep reminding myself to focus on the good times we had and the people who did make us a priority.  I guess something about being back in my old bedroom and driving on my old familiar streets brings out my latent teenage angst. It's a good thing Facebook wasn't around when I was in high school because I definitely would have gotten butt hurt about every event I wasn't invited to - I'm self-centered like that. I do try to be considerate of others and not post Facebook pictures that have the potential to make someone feel left out. But I'm sure I would not have had that sort of restraint in high school - my mean girl streak ran fairly deep in those days, the highlight probably being when some of my friends and I attempted to stare down some cheerleaders from a rival town, all because one of them had had the audacity to have previously dated my then-boyfriend. I'm trying not to get too lost on Memory Lane but it's hard when I'm constantly coming face to face with mementos from those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment